Thank you Analogousblues for nominating me. The badge is shiny!
Official rules for the Liebster Award
1. List 11 random facts about yourself.
2. Answer the questions designated by the blogger(s) who nominated you.
3. Place YOUR nominations for the Liebster Award! Nominate five (or more) other bloggers that have less than 200 followers. Make sure to notify them via comment/email, etc.
4. Make up a set of questions for those nominated bloggers to answer.
5. Display the Liebster award badge on your blog!
11 Facts About YourInsomnia
1) I live in Brooklyn and I like it very much, although there were periods when I hated it too. But overall, I love the insanity of NYC, the diversity and the food (or more like diversity of food, basically JUST GIVE ME FOOD). I’ve lived here so long I don’t think I would be able to live anywhere where there isn’t a subway/metro within walking distance.
2) I’m a snob when it comes to books. I get my fix of entertainment and escapism with Asian dramas, so when I sit down with a book it has to blow my mind with the language and the writing, otherwise I will most likely despise it. My latest literary escapade confirmed this once again: despite my love for the character of Sherlock Holmes, and all other merits of Arthur Conan Doyle’s writing such as it being a pioneer in detective fiction, I found his writing to be abhorrently dry and flat. I need the language to be poetic, complex, extraordinary or anything other than competent (which a lot of authors can do like Stephen King for example, or the same Arthur Conan Doyle or even G.R.R. Martin who is a genius by all accounts but to me is not an amazing writer). It is the same reason why I can’t enjoy the majority of fantasy, sci-fi or YA literature out there (and lord, how I tried). I do read non-fiction though, but it’s out of sheer masochism to impose some form of painful reading material on myself, now that I’m out of college and all. My boyfriend pronounced me tenacious for having finished Universe from Nothing,.
3) I don’t watch Western TV but I watch a lot of Western movies. I watch plenty of Asian dramas but few Asian movies.
4) I’ve been fascinated by Asian culture since I was young. The fascination has taken on many forms throughout the years including anime, dramas, music, food and fashion and literature.
5) I have a smoking fetish. Cumberbatch smoking fetish.
6) I love rain. I honestly would be OK if it rained 300 days out of the year.
7) I’m originally from Russia and I even retained a bit of an accent to this day. A fact that brings me much displeasure. It’s not very obvious and people have told me that they can’t tell exactly where I’m from but still. I want to sound American, goddamn it. Or British. That would be nice too. But alas, nothing I do seems to change the way I sound.
8) I write silly hipster poetry and short stories.
9) I’m not athletic but I’ve been taking dance classes since I was 8.
10) Why are there 11 of these random facts? What a random number!
11) Imagine writing 100 random facts about yourself? I can’t even reach the level of vanity required to do 11. Not that I’m not vain. I am. And also awesome. So there.
Questions from Analoguesblues
1. What drama character do you find relates to yourself the most? Why?
Asian dramas? I don’t often relate to female characters in Asian dramas because they are either too idealistic or just villainous. I do remember identifying with one character in this Japanese drama Love Shuffle (Mei played by amazing Kanjiri Shihoya). She is a sheltered princess type of character, who despite loving her fiance hurts him a lot because she lets her emotions dictate her decisions. I am very much like that and impulsive too.
2. What are some of your hobbies?
Some listed above – reading obscure lit fiction, dancing, writing all manner of random things.
3. If you could spend a day with someone who is already deceased, who would it be? Why?
My brother. I would ask him to do all the things we never did together – go to the movies, walk, have a drink somewhere.
4. Where do you hope to see yourself in the next 10 years?
I hope to see myself in a house with sliding Japanese doors, surrounded by cats and working on my novel.
5. How important is language and culture to you?
Important, as in how much it interests me? To a reasonable degree, I guess. I am interested in Asian cultures but very much not interested in the culture I come from. I’m indifferent about languages for the most part and I never had this mad desire to learn many languages (knowing two is good enough and the experience of learning Japanese put me off to pursue studies in other Asian languages). Out of all Asian languages I love how Chinese sounds the most (especially in music) and Korean the least. I am interested in language as a concept though and very fascinated by accents.
6. What kind of sense of humor suits your taste? (i.e. Nerdy, Crude, Puns…)
Self-deprecating, black humor ala British TV.
7. If you were given the chance to teleport to one place in the world to spend 24 hours there, where would you teleport to?
Some dark alley in London.
Blogs I nominate:
1) Is there a fictional character that you wish you were like and/or actively trying to be like?
2) What is your last meal on Earth?
3) What is that one thing you really wish you had time for (hobby, activity, etc)?
4) Do you know any extraordinary people? What makes them extraordinary?
5) Favorite place in the world?
6) One silly thing you did recently.
7) Bubble tea or iced coffee?